Berry-Rhubarb Custard Cake
Yield 6 servings
Prep Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cup Nature Nate’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup lemon juice stirred in)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup rhubarb, diced
- 1 cup strawberries and/or raspberries
- 3 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
Heat oven to 350ºF.
Place egg whites in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat until stiff peaks form.
In a large bowl, stir together 3/4 cup honey, flour, 2 Tbsp butter, buttermilk, lemon zest, almond extract and salt. Fold in egg whites, set aside.
In a 9-11” cast-iron skillet, melt 2 Tbsp butter over high heat. Toss in rhubarb and 1/4 cup honey, cooking just until tender. Turn off heat, fold in berries. Pour custard batter over the berries. Top with sliced almonds and a drizzle of honey.
Bake for 32-37 minutes, or just until the cake is golden and the center has set. Remove and cool slightly before dusting with powdered sugar.
Serve with a dollop of whipping cream or ice cream. Enjoy!