Slow Cooker Pork Tacos
Yield 24 Tacos
- 6 lb pork shoulder (no bone)
- ½ cup fresh orange juice plus the peel (about 3 medium-sized oranges) – slice 1½ peels (not all of them)
- 2 light beers
- ½ cup Nate’s 100% Pure Honey
- 1 head garlic, peeled and minced (about 10 cloves)
- 2 medium-sized yellow onions, diced
- ½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tsp dried chili flake
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 24 flour tortillas
- Garnish: fresh chopped cilantro, diced white onion, jalapeño slices and chopped tomatoes
Place the pork shoulder in an electric pressure cooker (like an Instant Pot) or slow cooker. In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except garnishes, and whisk until the honey is well-incorporated. Taste and add salt if needed. Pour the liquid over the pork shoulder, add the orange peels, and place the lid to secure it shut. If using the pressure cooker, set to pressure cook for 45 minutes; otherwise set the slow cooker to low and cook for 8 hours, or overnight.
Once the cooking is complete, place the pork on a parchment-lined baking sheet and, using 2 forks, shred the meat. Do not crowd the baking sheet – spread the meat evenly in 1 layer. Place the baking sheet in the oven under the broiler and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the edges of the meat begin to crisp.
Remove meat from oven, and place it on the tortillas. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and/or other garnishes.