Buttermilk Biscuits with Honey Butter
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 10-12
For the Biscuits:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup Nature Nate’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons Nature Nate’s Raw & Unfiltered Honey
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
Biscuits: Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk together flour baking powder and salt. With a pastry cutter or fork, combine butter and shortening into flour mixture until it resembles small peas. Whisk honey and buttermilk together. Pour into flour mixture. Stir gently until just combined. Gather dough into balls and pat into rectangles on a floured surface. Using a biscuit cutter (3-inch) cut one dozen biscuits. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, until deep golden. Makes one dozen. Serve warm with Honey Butter.
A few tips for real southern buttermilk biscuits:
- Use a lightly buttered cast-iron skillet.
- Use a self-rising flour for more tender biscuits
- Chill the butter & flour mixture for 10 minutes to get the perfect textured biscuit dough.
For Honey Butter: Stir together all ingredients until well combined and fluffy. Makes about 1/2 cup.
SHARE WITH US
We’ve love to see your buttermilk biscuit recipe in action. Be sure to post on social media and tag us @naturenates.