Shrimp & Grits with Hot Honey
Yield 4 Servings
Prep Time 5 Minutes
Total Time 45 Minutes
- 1½ lb peeled deveined shrimp (21-25 count)
- 3 Tbsp Nate’s Hot Honey, divided
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned grits
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese, freshly grated (about 1½ cups)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 scallions, sliced thin, green and white parts divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from ½ lemon, plus more to taste
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 4 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 lemon wedges
Pat shrimp dry with paper towels then toss with 2 tablespoons hot honey, Cajun seasoning and salt. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes or covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Bring broth and water to boil in a medium sauce pan over high heat. Slowly whisk in the grits until there are no clumps. Lower heat to medium-low, cover the pan, and cook for the time indicated on the package (12-20 minutes), stirring occasionally. Once fully cooked, remove from heat and stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese. If the grits are too thick, stir in broth, milk or water until you reach the desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and once it begins to shimmer, add the white parts of the scallions, bell pepper and celery. Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes, ensuring the garlic doesn’t burn. Push all the vegetables to one side of the skillet and position that side off the heat as much as possible.
To the empty side of the skillet over high heat, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Dry the marinated shrimp well with a paper towel, and then arrange in a single layer on the hot skillet. Cook for about 1 minute per side, until fully pink.
Turn off the heat and toss the shrimp and vegetables together with the remaining 1 tablespoon hot honey and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve shrimp over grits and garnish with the remaining green parts of the scallions, fresh parsley and lemon wedges.